Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use

Subject: Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use
From: Bruce Wolf <brucerwolf -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Ken Banks <edits -at- hawaii -dot- rr -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:19:34 -0800 (PST)

Good for you, Ken.

I'm trying to remember another example other people
have used to show that the serial comma adds clarity.
It may be the following.

Al Geist said, "I owe everything to my parents, Kathy
and God."

Al Geist said, "I owe everything to my parents, Kathy,
and God."

The first sentence implies Kathy and God are Al's
parents.

The second sentence removes the ambiguity.

I'll apologize in advance to Al if, indeed, his
parents are Kathy and God.

BW :)

http://mail.yahoo.com