Re: SharePoint Opinions

Subject: Re: SharePoint Opinions
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Stephanie Erickson <serickson -at- infinitecampus -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:36:44 -0500

On 1/24/06, Stephanie Erickson <serickson -at- infinitecampus -dot- com> wrote:

> Do you use SharePoint in your collective businesses? What is your
> opinion of it?

Stephanie,

We've implemented SharePoint Portal enterprise-wide as a repository
for our Quality Management System procedure documents and templates.

It is a reasonable and manageable solution for sharing documents
across many locations, and contains some built-in tools (e.g.,
"project workspaces") that support collaboration on documents between
and among multiple authors

By itself, however, it does not do any sort of meaningful workflow
management, and provides only rudimentary version control/change
control; there are apparently add-ons from third-party vendors that
will provide this additional functionality, but I have no experience
with them.

If you're looking for a full-blown document management system,
SharePoint probably won't do what you need; if you just need to create
and easily manage a centralized document library and provide some
simple collaboration functions, it might well be enough.

I've found the following three books very helpful as I've set up and
configured our SharePoint site.

For users, managers and admins:

Essential SharePoint : Microsoft Office Document Collaboration in Action
ISBN: 0596008805
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596008805/

Notes: The first chapter is an excellent, nontechnical introduction to
SharePoint; remaining chapters contain solid advice for how to
configure a SharePoint server and work with users.

Just for admins and technical implementors:

Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies Resource Kit (Pro -
Resource Kit) (Paperback with included CD-ROM)
ISBN: 073561881X
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073561881X/

Notes: ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL, WILL SAVE YOU ENORMOUS AMOUNTS OF TIME.
Includes a complete, searchable copy of the book on CD-ROM, along with
many sample utilities that can be added to a SharePoint server. This
is the manual that *should* have shipped with the product; I would
have killed for something like this when we were implementing our
first SharePoint installation.

Just for users:

SharePoint User's Guide (Paperback)
ISBN: 0596009089
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596009089/

A great guide to hand to end-users as an adjunct to local training.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
http://campbell-online.com