Re: Troubles with Tables - Table Wrangling!

Subject: Re: Troubles with Tables - Table Wrangling!
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Collin T <tutivillus -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:56:14 -0500

Collin T wrote:

Hello All,

I'm having Table issues in MS Word.

The problem is this:

I'm formatting a Spec Doc and a developer dropped a table that falls
way out of the margins. Nothing I do seems to get it to behave
properly (get back in the margins.) I've tried forcing it to fit,
splitting it, resizing, etc. The * -at- #!! thing just seems to defy the
rules of logic and common sense. Granted, when it comes to this
particular area, I am not a master of Word. When I ask our Developers
why they use tables so often I get blank looks and the answer: "What
else is there?"

So, I turn to you, oh wise and great Masters of All Things Frustrating
About Word.

Have you any advice about Table Wrangling?

1. Select the table and copy it to the clipboard.

2. Open a new, blank document.

3. File > Page Setup

4. Change your page size to tabloid (11 x 17) landscape and change all of the margins to 0.25 inches. This should give you a large enough area to paste the table (we hope!).

5. Paste the table.

6. Drag the column separators to the left to adjust the widths of the columns. Start at the left and work to the right. Once you get the right edge of the column within about 7 inches of the left edge, you can copy the table and paste it back into your original document, where you can make final adjustments.