Re: Help: my e-mail address is being spoofed by a spammer!

Subject: Re: Help: my e-mail address is being spoofed by a spammer!
From: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:28:09 -0500

Hi, Geoff :-)

> I suppose it had to happen. In the past couple hours, some spammer has
> used my e-mail address to spoof the "from:" line of their e-mail
> headers. In the past hour, I've received several hundred bounce
> messages for mail I never sent. (Fortunately, my junk mail filter traps
> most of it.)
>
> Any thoughts on what I can do other than buying large quantities of
> antacids? I assume that until the current storm abates--i.e., until the
> spammer gets bored because the junk filters are trapping their spoofed
> messages--I'm stuck with the problem unless I'm willing to change
> e-mail addresses and notify a _large_ number of people of the change.
> Fortunately, no angry e-mails yet from victims of the spam.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do. (My account got spoofed
last year...I can sympathize.) It will die down, then pick up again,
and continue with this cycle for awhile. Eventually it seems to
stop...more or less ;-)

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Candidate for Secretary
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com