Re: Tour of Duty :)

Subject: Re: Tour of Duty :)
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:52:42 -0800

At 12:27 PM 1/18/2006, Melissa Nelson wrote:

That got me curious about what the median amount of time a technical writer stays with a company. Does anyone know this, and what are the average times the people on this list have worked for one company?

In over 25 years in the software industry, the longest I've ever stayed at a single company was 4 years. This week I will have been at my current job for 3 years, which is the second-longest. The average has been just under 2 years per company.

I have worked for most of those years in Silicon Valley and have been through more layoffs than I can count. I especially like working at startups, which exposes me to (possibly) more potential for layoffs. The good news is that after every layoff I've ended up in better jobs, with higher salaries.

martha
--

Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Too many words bring about exhaustion."
--Tao Te Ching, Chapter 5 (translated by Sheets/Tovey)