Re: Rhetoric and technical writing

Subject: Re: Rhetoric and technical writing
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:28:31 +0800

Thanks, Sharon, this site looks really interesting.

At a first glance these classical devices are mostly appropriate to essays and speeches. The ones I think we might use in technical writing are parallelism, metabasis, distinctio, analogy, parenthesis, hypophora, enumeratio, exemplum, hypotaxis, and maybe dirimens copulatio.

I guess the trick is to use these devices so that they make their mark without being noticed by the reader. They are most effective when they move, like the crocodile, just below the surface. :-)

Stuart

Sharon Burton wrote:

I found this site and use it sometimes in my classes. It talks about the
rhetorical devices in writing and I find it easy to make it relevant to
technical writing. It's not active voice, etc. It's how to logically
construct information to lead the reader thru what you are telling them in a
way that supports them understanding what you are saying.

http://www.virtualsalt.com/rhetoric.htm

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting