RE: Viso PDFs look poor

Subject: RE: Viso PDFs look poor
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Kirk Turner" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:00:51 -0500

Kirk Turner said...

> My manual hinges on about 32 visio charts that look poor when I
convert
> them
> to PDF. I'm using print-quality settings. Does anyone know what I may
be
> doing incorrectly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Kirk

You may have to go one step deeper into the program. Check your settings
for Visio and for Acrobat (I presume that's what you're using to create
the .PDF) and determine your "Print Settings" resolution. I remember
having to change these settings to get adequate-quality printed
illustrations out of Visio when I started using it.

For print settings, I always set drawings, illustrations, and photos to
a _minimum_ of 600 dpi (I spent two years doing pre-press work for a
commercial printer). It makes the graphics files consume a little more
disk space, but they come out much crisper and clearer than if using 150
or 300 dpi. Might as well use crayons and an etch-a-sketch if that's the
resolution you want to print... LOL.