Re: Rise In Number of Tech Writing Jobs?

Subject: Re: Rise In Number of Tech Writing Jobs?
From: eva knodt <knodt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:35:01 -0800

I noticed a similar trend. However, there seems to be a huge difference in these offerings compared to the golden pre-bubble-bust days. When I did contract tech writing between 1999 and 2001, the jobs paid between $55 and $65 per hour plus benefits from the agency and the jobs actually fit the skills and experience on my resume. The calls and emails I have received in the past two months suggest the scene has changed quite a bit:

1. The recruiters don't seem to care about whether or not there is even a remote fit between the candidate and the job requirements.
2. The pay seems extremely low ($35 to $40 per hour).

Note these are "agency jobs." My question is: what has happened to the contracting scene? Is contract technical writing now being outsourced to India? Are they looking for local people only for jobs where they need someone on site? Are my observations typical or did I just happen to run into some rotten apples?

I quit my full-time technical writing job back in December (my company got bought up and it stopped being fun). I am considering going back to contracting for a while, but the agency I used to have (and was very happy with) went under.

I would appreciate some input from those of you who work as contractors for agencies.

Thanks,

eva

On Jan 12, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Scott Abel wrote:

Has anyone noticed an upturn in the number of contracts and job openings lately. I have seen many more opportunities than usual come across my desk in the last month or so. It almost seems near the level of pre-dotcom bust days.

I received over 60 offers this week (from listservs, job services, recruiter emails and posting to websites). This seems like good news!

Thoughts?

==================================
The Content Wrangler
Scott Abel, Content Management Strategist
3421 Crystal Lakes Ct., Sarasota FL 34235
abelsp -at- netdirect -dot- net 941-359-3416
www.thecontentwrangler.com
========================

Recent posts to TheContentWrangler.com

~ Music: Bridging the Semantic Gap
~ DITA OpenToolkit
~ Increased Innovation With Structured Blogging
~ Should SMEs Create Content?
~ The Case for the Darwin Information Typing Architecture
~ Avoiding DITA Roadblocks

Doc-To-Help 2005 now has RoboHelp Converter and HTML Source: Author content and configure Help in MS Word or any HTML editor. No proprietary editor! *August release. http://www.componentone.com/ TECHWRL/DocToHelp2005

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as knodt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/knodt% 40worldnet.att.net