RE: Asking for opinions about this job

Subject: RE: Asking for opinions about this job
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <victoria_wroblewski -at- usr -dot- com>
To: <aurora -at- identicloak -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:46:59 -0600

And A.u.r.o.r.a said:
> Your situation is extremely atypical and extremely poor.

I beg to differ; I have found that situation all too typical. It has
happened to me more then once.

The lack of mobility is typical when you take a job at a smaller
company. However, I wouldn't consider that as serious of an issue as
being overworked. In the past, when trying to justify the case that I
was overworked, I'd usually turn to some project estimating. Typical
amount of change per release X time to do it RIGHT. Not get it done and
out the door on time, but get it RIGHT. And have lists of what I needed
from others to get my stuff done on time. If you are armed with that
information, it makes it easier to plead your case and not feel "whiney"
about it. And another alternative - see if you can get an intern. A
lot of programs require it, and it'd be an easy way to offload some of
the duties without another full-time employee.

Don't fool yourself... many companies usually have no problems taking
advantage of people who are willing to overwork themselves.

- Victoria

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.

Thank you. U. S. Robotics