Re: Documentation Review process - client feedback

Subject: Re: Documentation Review process - client feedback
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:13:50 -0500

A letter of transmittal is an indication that the accompanying document is now ready for review, approval, signoff, and/or action of some sort. It usually contains information about what the document is, why the receiver is getting it, and what they are expected to do with it. It may also highlight points of interest in the document. Point out the deadline if you need action by a certain date, and be specific about the action you want the receiver to take.

The transmittal letter may also include information about the proper handling of the document (e.g., "feel free to mark up this copy with your changes") and any additional information that helps the receiver know what to expect. ("This document is the first in a series of publications on ...").

I always tell my students that if they cover the 5W 1H in thinking about their cover letter, they'll include everything that is necessary.
--Beth

Lucero, Peggy wrote:

I am about to hand our client documents for their review/feedback.
Client is the Govt. I want to email the documents with a cover
transmittal letter. Besides stating the obvious, I'm not sure I know
what all I should cover in this transmittal letter.
If someone has familiarity with this and can comment, I'd be most
appreciative.

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication