RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Word Doc Sizes

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Word Doc Sizes
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:03:47 -0500

It looks as if I may be the first one to get to say it:

Size doesn't matter.

I've had 700+ page Word documents that were stable as a
rock and 100-pagers that have been dangerously unstable.
In my experience, it is more a matter of complexity and the
use of certain Word features that clearly increase the risk
factors (e.g. master documents, OLE linked objects, lots
of autonumbering not implemented via SEQ field codes,
excessive retention of marked revisions).

My opinions only; I don;t speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Lisa M. Bronson" <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Word Doc Sizes
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:22:28 -0600

Hey everyone!

Last week, there was a thread on the list about Word documents
crashing. Some people recommended limiting the length of individual
Word documents. This week's poll question was inspired by that thread.

What is the longest Word document you have successfully worked with?

* More than 1,000 pages
* 501-1,000 pages
* 251-500 pages
* 101-250 pages
* 76-100 pages
* 51-75 pages
* 26-50 pages
* Less than 25 pages
* I do not use Word
* Other/None of the above

You may enter your response at http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/
And let me know if you have a suggestion for a new poll question!

Have a great week!

Lisa B.