Re: HELP! A monumental pickle

Subject: Re: HELP! A monumental pickle
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Kirk Turner" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 07:55:58 -0800

Since you didn't notice this previously, I'm gussing that many of these
styles are similar in appearance? If this is the case and you can meet
your deliverable with PDFs, a quick-and-dirty approach would be to
PDF the various sections individually and then assemble the PDFs into a single document in Acrobat. You'd have to create the required
links manually in the PDF, but that might be less work than trying to
fix the Word files. If you have to deliver Word, create a default
template with the styles you want to use, apply it to each section
individually, retag by selecting all instances of each tag and changing,
then delete the unused styles ao that your template is standardized
before you put the doc together. All sorts of nasty things can happen in
Word when you connect documents with different templates together.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kirk Turner" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>

When I put the manual
together I turned on the "Styles" pane, and saw hundreds of styles in
use from the old contracts and manuals. I think that the combination of
the multitude of styles and the size of the document has overwhelmed my
computer.