Re: [DISC] Does management style differ with different cultures?

Subject: Re: [DISC] Does management style differ with different cultures?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Rahul Prabhakar <prabhakar -dot- rahul -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 07:24:47 -0800 (PST)

Rahul:

In the U.S., tech company management culture can vary
radically in different parts of the country. I
currently work in Cleveland Ohio; I used to work in
San Diego California. My observed differences in
management style between the two places:

* San Diego: Overall, people are relatively
optimistic; therefore, tech company management often
sees significant growth ahead for the company, causing
them to look for growth potential in employees.
Bottom line: Tech company management tends to
capitalize an employees strengths.

* Cleveland: It is a well know joke here that
Clevelanders often tend to envision a rain cloud
hovering over their heads and following them wherever
they go. Tech company management sees trouble ahead
for the company from overseas competition, lack of
innovation, etc. Bottomline: Tech company management
is often highly focused on short-term survival; and
the quickest way to get something out of employees is
to capitalize on their fears.

A Focus on capitalizing on employee strengths vs a
focus on capitalizing on employee fears, that is the
big difference that I have observed in management
styles.

Note: San Diego is one of about eight areas in the U.S
with in the country with a relatively high level of
entrepreneurial spirit. (Some others: Silicon Valley
area of California, Austin Texas, parts of Florida.)

Tony Markos

"It is only by dying (i.e., following the flow of
data) that we are born again (i.e., come to understand
the underlying logic of a software system)." - AJ
Markos

--- Rahul Prabhakar <prabhakar -dot- rahul -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi all
> I have a query for all the Tech. Comm. Managers on
> this listserv,
> who are leading a group of Technical Writers in
> their respective
> organization. This mail is also meant for Technical
> Writers who have
> experienced offshore opportunities related to work.
> I would like to
> understand the management styles for tech. comm.
> departments
> prevalent in different countries. Does the
> management style differ
> with different cultures? If so, then how and in what
> respect?

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com