Re: Scoping a DocumentationProject??

Subject: Re: Scoping a DocumentationProject??
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:14:39 -0800 (PST)

Tony Markos resonds to Bill Swallows grillings below.
(No more replies to such grillings will be given.)

Tony Markos

Bill Swallow:

Tony, I'm sorry, but I thought you asked a question...
"Any ideas as how to scope out a documentation
project?"

Tony Markos:

Yes, that is the question that I asked. I am aware of
what the requirements engineering community does, but,
not how the Tech Writer community does it. The two
communities sometimes do the same basic things in
radically different fashion. Take for example
analysis. What the requirements people call
functional analysis is basically the same thing as
what the Tech Writer community calls end-user task
analysis. But the two communities do analysis
radially different. Requirements engineers proceed
top down; Tech Writers (per Hackos), mainly, bottom
up.

Bill Swallow:

If you weren't interested in entertaining others'
answers, why did you ask it?

Tony Markos:

Why do you say such? I am a Tech Writer. I don't know
how Tech writers scope a project. So I ask.

Bill Swallow:

What are you looking from out of this community?

Tony Markos:

Secrets Bill, top secrets to sell to the Russians.

Bill Swallow:

It seems you do not want to entertain anyone's input
unless it is in line with your own thoughts Rant,
Rant, Rant.

Tony Markos:

Again, I do not know how TWs do scoping. I asked.
When you asked for clarification of what scoping was,
I gave you an example of what the requirements
engineering community uses to try to same time
explaining things. What is wrong with that?

Bill Swallow:

Please, for your own professional development,
consider the advice of the many of us who have
suggested to read up on alternative techniques,

Tony Markos:

I did do research. I found nothing. I ask to get a
thread to go on. What is wrong with that?

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com