RE: In love with a word

Subject: RE: In love with a word
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Sankara R <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 07:52:09 -0800 (PST)

Sankara...

> 'utilize' mean different things, I don't think
> 'whilst' differs from 'while' except in being
> archaic. [In that sense, that is connotationally
> different.]

The problem I had with its use was:

1) I feel using any word that makes someone mentally "stutter" is bad
word usage and being that this was written for an exclusively
American readership, it did that. It distracts them from trying to
learn about what they are trying to do.
2) In this particular case, the author seemed to go out of his way to
squeeze the word in whenever he could. In one case, the same word was
used 7 times on one page. It also wasn't consistent. If he was trying
to anglicize his documentation, he would have done so wherever
appropriate. Instead, color and among were in the American form.

> Be that as it may, I wonder what is the
> difference between till and until. I prefer to
> use 'until' but i can't put my finger on why. Is
> it like Am vs Brit E?

To me, till is the incorrect form of until. I cannot come up with an
instance where I'd use till instead of until.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"Bigamy is having one wife
too many. Monogamy is the same."