Re: Help systems

Subject: Re: Help systems
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:43:59 -0500

> > What issues are you running into with HTML Help? Wel localize
> > into nearly as many languages (19) without issue...
>
> SE Asian languages too?

Yes, Korean.

> > What do you mean by "MS Help"? As for JavaHelp, its language
> > support is pretty much in line with HTML Help.
>
> MS Help 2.X is one of Microsoft's help formats - one of the latest, I
> think.
>
> http://www.mshelpwiki.com/index.php?page=Help2

Ah, MS HTML Help 2. Please be specific when referencing Help formats,
as there are many.

> The predecessor was HTML Help and the predecessor of that was WinHelp.
> Many of the files (TOC, index, project file) in MS Help are XML files,
> while they are plain text files in HTML Help. So I do believe that it
> would be easier to output MS Help from an XMl system than HTML Help. But
> I may be wrong, ofcourse.

Well, unless you're authoring specifically for Visual Studio
integration, HTML Help 2 is pretty much not an option for you. It's
limited only to .NET IDE integration.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736