Software purchase advice needed

Subject: Software purchase advice needed
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:09:52 -0500

Hi guys,

Okay, I'm gonna bite the bullet and spend some bucks with Adobe. Clean install, new licenses, no upgrades.

My laptop came with a licensed copy of Acrobat 6.0 standard. I can upgrade that separately to 7.0 Professional for $159.

CS2 standard is $899.

CS2 Premium seems to be the identical package except for the addition of GoLive (not sure I'm interested) and Acrobat 7.0 Professional. It costs $1,199.

I understand that if I get CS2 Professional I can never again upgrade a single application (such as Acrobat) without upgrading the whole package. But it seems to me that if I just get CS2 Standard I can separately upgrade Acrobat without penalty, right?

It also seems to me that as long as I'm not interested in GoLive, I should just buy the standard CS2 package.

Am I missing something critical here? Is there something else extra in the Professional package that I'm not seeing?

Also, am I being too dismissive of GoLive? Now that Adobe bought Macromedia, will buying Dreamweaver prove to be a mistake? Should I look at GoLive instead?

I need to spend this money in 2005 rather than 2006, so if anyone is around who has an opinion, I'd appreciate hearing from you sooner rather than later.

Dick