RE: Formatting Docs On-The-Fly

Subject: RE: Formatting Docs On-The-Fly
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:08:27 -0500

On Behalf Of Tony Markos

> Whether we are talking about writing style or
> formatting, people move away from standards in order
> to get "wiggle-room".

And that's why technical editors are indispensable for organizations that
are determined to produce documentation that truly helps users.

Those same organizations must have ways of monitoring how well writers
achieve or do not achieve that goal.

Editors are the ones who don't let holes get through. They're the ones who
get the holes plugged, enforce the standards, and encourage writers to
produce documentation that is of the highest quality.

Any documentation department that does not have at least one technical
editor is a documentation department without any quality control. Writers
themselves cannot perform the job of an editor, though many organizations
still are subject to that delusion. Were those organizations applying the
same principle to software development, there would be no application
testing and products would be designed, built, and sent out the door without
any testing whatsoever.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com