RE: Callouts in Graphics

Subject: RE: Callouts in Graphics
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:37:35 -0800

Hi!

Using callouts is not an imperative for localization. Some translation
firms can handle source graphic files with multiple layers; one simply
separates the text layer from the graphics layer. This technique may
require you to re-create an image for the localized book, though.

I myself use callouts. We don't have any plans to localize our
documentation any time soon, but I prefer callouts to text, for these
reasons:
* for a screenshot, it's easier to differentiate between the "screen"
text and and notation.
* Callouts are more flexible. You can edit the text without having to
edit the graphic.
* Callouts are less cluttered.
* Callouts allow you to refer to part of an image later on in your text.

It seems to me that callouts may cause some accessibility issues,
though.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.