Re: The resume grinder

Subject: Re: The resume grinder
From: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:54:10 -0500

On 12/15/05, rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com> wrote:
> > I think the only way to get in the door
> now is to know somebody inside.
>
> I was under the impression that it's always been that way. Look on the bright side - now you know where to focus your efforts? Perhaps we should not bother with the grinders, but tend to our networks instead.

My principal method of recruitment has been from posting my resume on
job boards. I found that many companies will use crawlers and grinders
to search job boards for specific keywords, and bring in resumes that
match their findings. I've actually gotten very good results from
that--no one's ever called trying to hire me as a cook, for example
:)--but I periodically have to remind overeager recruiters that the
title on my resume is "Technical Writer," and I'm good at what I say
I'm good at, so if my resume doesn't say J2EE or AuthorIT on it, that
probably means I'm not a fit for your job. ;)

I recommend the Monster Premium membership whenever possible. $9.99 a
month, and your resume gets insane hits almost daily. I know most of
these are because I'm good ;), but it doesn't hurt to have the extra
"oomph."

Martin