RE: The more you know, the less you know you know?

Subject: RE: The more you know, the less you know you know?
From: "Norcross, Amanda" <Amanda -dot- Norcross -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:56:16 -0800

Geoff Hart said:
> triage: define what is essential and must be done if
> nothing else gets done, what should be done if I have
> time remaining, and what I can avoid doing at all (or
> delay to a future release without harming anyone
> much)? That focuses one's efforts most wonderfully.

To which John Posada replied:
<<In effect, that's what I'm doing. The following is an example from
last week...>>

In our tech writing group, when we are in a bind, we cover only the most
important information for a feature. When we document a feature, we know
that we need to create window descriptions, procedures, overviews,
glossary terms, troubleshooting topics, and so on. If we are really in
crunch mode (which seems to be way too much lately) and we don't have
time to create all the documentation for a feature, we'll work with our
SMEs to prioritize the types of documentation required for the feature
(the aforementioned window descriptions, etc.) and then create only the
most important, crucial documentation. It's not ideal and, yes, you have
to return to complete the documentation at some point, but it allows you
to at least provide basic documentation for all features instead of all
the documentation for only some of the features.

Amanda