RE: Hiring Question

Subject: RE: Hiring Question
From: "Giordano, Connie" <connie -dot- giordano -at- twcable -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:52:39 -0500

Great references can be faked or bought, samples can be "borrowed", and
some people interview well and perform poorly. Been there done that,
won't do it again, so everyone takes a simple writing/editing/design
test before being hired here. It's the same test for everyone, gauges
ability to reorganize information, write clearly, and plan a document.
It is somewhat subjective, but it has worked very well for us, and I
have eliminated candidates who called themselves writers or editors and
were neither. Good writers and editors finish in less than an hour,
poseurs rarely finish at all.
We review samples, check references and do behavioral interviewing as
well. The combination of these is really the best way to judge whether
you have a candidate who is capable and fits the environment.
We're not factory workers but we are judged everyday by both
quantitative and qualitative factors by our peers and management.
That's life in the corporate world, no matter where you go.
MTC
Connie Giordano
Knowledge Management Supervisor
Time Warner Cable