Re: Are You Sure? (Fri.)

Subject: Re: Are You Sure? (Fri.)
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:04:27 -0500

Thanks for letting us know about this, Chris. That's an example of great sofware -- it not only supports user performance but it keeps us from making silly errors. Shouldn't **all** software make it more difficult to do something dumb? We're used to the very simple "don't overwrite a file unless I specifically tell you to", and think of it as standard program behavior. Too bad more software companies don't encourage their developers and systems analysts to prevent typical user errors instead of just recover from them. If the techwriters are the only people thinking through the "what happens if...?" scenarios, then as Gene said, there are bigger problems than that to solve. I find it hard to believe that no mechanism exists to cancel an incorrect trade. That would be very bad design. Oh... wait.
--Beth

H. Christopher Christner wrote:

They should have hired the developer who wrote the script I use in iTunes to
truncate long song names. If I enter a number greater than 5, it pops up
the message "That's rather a large number, are you sure?". Plus, the Cancel
button is the default, so you can't just hit the Enter key for a Yes.