Dialog capture, instead of "screen capture"

Subject: Dialog capture, instead of "screen capture"
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:59:34 -0500

Notwithstanding all the suggestions for how to get good screencaps (which we
rehash twice each year, and I have no problem with that), I've been
wondering if a different kind of tool exists, that would make the problem
moot.

It seems to me that a Windows application, writing dialogs and such to the
screen is using a set of Windows "primitives" in a defined way... a GUI API.
It must be the same for all applications that run on Windows.

So, instead of capturing what is painted onto the screen, is there a utility
for capturing what is being sent to the screen (not the pixel map, I mean
prior to that)??

It would seem to me that if the instructions to build a window, place the
fields and gadgets within it, place and size any bit-map graphics, etc.
could be captured while being passed from the application to Windows, or
from the relevant part of Windows to the next part of Windows, we'd have
much more control over what our screen "images" looked like.

The same would apply to programs displaying their wares in X on Linux and
Unix systems.

What keywords _should_ I have searched for this one? :-)

Kevin (de-gunging another pixellated image)