Re: Are You Sure? (Fri.)

Subject: Re: Are You Sure? (Fri.)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:02:28 -0800

I did in my last software manual contract. The company was doing
a plugin for a CAD application, and just before I signed on their
in-house expert in that particular program left, which made me the
only person on the team who had ever been an actual hands-on user
of the program. At the end of development, the Bugzilla statistics showed that I had entered about 80% of the bug reports overall,
and *all* of the reports relating to user workflow.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>

It used to be that the tech writer did the real QA while the QA
department fiddled with tests derived from the same misunderstood
criteria that went into designing the system.

Now the tech writer is brought in for just two months, saving a
lot of money. Yes, several thousand dollars, at least.

It is possible to save even more, by having the tech writer work
on the design from the beginning. I wonder if anyone does that?