RE: Project Management Office

Subject: RE: Project Management Office
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Toni Williams" <tonicw -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 10:31:28 -0800

You don't say what the structure was before, so I can't readily agree
that it's an attempt to eliminate middle management. Did they eliminate
a manager of documentation?

This is a more formal variation of a very common structure in product
companies. As a technical writer, you report to a manager of
documentation or (in my case) to an engineering manager. You also have a
responsibility or reporting relationship (or both) to a product manager,
who drives, evangelizes, coordinates, and communicates for a particular
product.

I myself have been a product manager before. In my case, I did not have
anyone reporting to me formally, but I met with people from all
functional areas on a regular basis. I managed their schedules and
helped them communicate throughout the company. In addition, I did
customer and market research, wrote white papers, set up schedules, and
maintained product consistency.

This is called a "matrix" style of management. It was pioneered by the
consumer product company Proctor and Gamble, and it has proved very
effective in many types of organizations. I like it because it promotes
cross-functional cooperation, while at the same time focusing the
organization on delivering a consistent and understandable product line.
It also makes it easier to collect customer/market data and disseminate
it internally.

In fact, I am currently complaining to my own management that we *don't*
have enough product management in place. I find it difficult to get
consensus on items as trivial as product names, because every functional
area has its own!

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.