Re: Replacement for Outlook

Subject: Re: Replacement for Outlook
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:06:29 -0500

On 12/2/05, John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> We use Outlook. Before I go and buy a copy of Outlook, (does) anyone
> know if there is an Open Source equiv to Outlook? I'd need as close a
> replacement as I can get.

There are plenty of *functional* replacements for Outlook - you could
use (e.g.) Thunderbird for e-mail, and your choice of open-source
personal information managers for calendar and contact management.

But if you've got to talk to an Exchange server and use Outlook's
collaborative features (e.g., group calendaring, using the company's
address book, etc. etc.) you're stuck with Outlook; there is no
currently shipping open-source equivalent.

(Projects in the works that aim to be Outlook replacements include
Mozilla's "Lightning" and the Open Source Application Foundation's
"Chandler," but they are vaporware and in a very early developmental
stage, respectively.)

The good news is that standalone Outlook ain't that expensive (circa $100.)

And if you're at all interested in acquiring a Windows Mobile-based
PDA, note most of the HP Pocket PCs come with a licensed version of
Outlook on the install disk; for circa $200, you could get Outlook and
a shiny new toy.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
AOL IM: bcampbellnyc