I've made a best friend - kinda long

Subject: I've made a best friend - kinda long
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:29:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi, guys...something amusing hyappened today.

I've been here since Feb and I've created fourFM books and a good
chunk of a fifth. A book averages about 175-225 pages.

The way it is setup around here, each developer is in charge of one
of more portal process, so being that each book is a process, I've
worked closely with three developers so far, with a good relationship
with each of them so far.

However, there has been one developer in chanrge of the biggest
process that while cordial, has been resistant to work with me...the
usual excuses; too busy, a release is just around the corner, any
number of other priorities...until last week.

My boss was recently promoted to corporate CTO. Because of this, he's
getting involved in issues that he hadn't before. Anyway, a week ago
last Sunday, I get an email about 10pm, that a VP of one of our
Canadian operations had just received a document set created by
another office and was less than pleased with what they'd received.
My boss asked me to get involved.

So, for the last 10 days, I've been creating a new document set by
writing, stealing, scavanging, and just plain borging any content I
could find on the process. Yesterday, I sent it about 70 pages to the
above mentioned SME for review and gap analysis.

This morning, he declares loud enough for the whole floor of about 18
developers to hear, "This document is the best document we've ever
produced!" then to me in a very low voice, "I should have worked with
you sooner."

The moral of the story? Be ready to help when you can, always produce
the best you can even if they aren't paying you the best they can,
and sooner or later someone will notice.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"The word "genius" isn't applicable
in football. A genius is a guy like