Re: career path in the third and fourth decades?

Subject: Re: career path in the third and fourth decades?
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:21:54 -0500

Monica wondered what techwriters in their 3rd or 4th decade of the profession do to continue to make it interesting and profitable. I hadn't really considered that meaning of "senior" techwriter before! After being at this for more than 2 decades now, I have moved into education, passing along whatever I can to the next generation of technical communicators. That's not a route you take for the money, but for the chance to "give back".

To get income increases, I've branched out into consulting. Having worked in a number of industries and seen best and worst practices, I have information to share with companies that want to avoid making certain mistakes. I can help businesses shorten the distance between conception and delivery of their products or services. I do more project management and less actual writing, contracting that out instead to other techwriters.

Some of us decide to specialize, in areas such as single-sourcing or online help, achieving guru-status in those disciplines. And there's nothing to say you can't career change into a related area, or something else entirely.

That's one of the great things about this skill set that we develop -- there are many ways to utilize it, and live your dreams as well.
--Beth

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication