Re: Version control software

Subject: Re: Version control software
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:28:51 -0500

> I'm not ruling out client/server solutions, unless they require a separate computer. But experience tells me that they are complex animals, and difficult to install and re-install. Since the version control software will be used on a local computer that is a factor that I need to weigh in.

Client/server architecture is about as simple or as complex as you
want to make it. Many server-based version control systems are
actually quite easy to set up. But yes, it will require a server
machine and a client machine, which means separate computer. Of course
you could do something funky with virtual machines and stick to one
box, but to be honest it'd be more of an exercise in the bizarre than
anything else.

> But feel free to convince of the opposite... :)

1 not-so-easily-scalable machine + binaries in version control =
creeping nightmare ;-)

> In a perfect world storing tens of thousands of production files on a local computer should not be necessary. But until networks get faster that is the best option at the moment, for the files I use in my applications.

How fast of a network do you require? I've been using client/server
architecture for years and I have little to no issues with my working
files (FM+WWP+Acrobat). All applications are local and all files are
worked on from the server...

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com