Bone-headed question?

Subject: Bone-headed question?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:56:09 -0500

David Loveless wondered: <<I'm finally graduating from college and entering that lone and terrible world known as "the real world.">>

Happens to the best of us. Even Zonker Harris eventually succumbed. Any chance you can go back for two or three post-grad degrees and a post-doc? Maybe by then we'll have moved into a post-work society... <g>

<<So my question is this: I've been everywhere from the highest mountain to the lowest valley searching for technical writing jobs and while I find a good number on various sites (LinkedIn, Monster, Yahoo Jobs, and the local chapter of the STC in particular), I haven't found too many positions that match my liking. Any thoughts on a good tech writer job search engine?>>

Yup. Best search engine in existence: the human brain. Not being facetious here. It's a truism that the best jobs are unadvertised, so do some looking for companies that might need your services. For example, look for people hiring engineers and developers. If they're hiring people to produce new products, someone has to document them, and that someone could be you. In your cover letter, point out that they're hiring these guys to develop, not to write, and suggest that it would be more cost-effective to hire you to do the writing. (Not just blowing smoke here. Got my first job with IBM that way.)

www.geoff-hart.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com