Re: David Pogue's column - New York Time

Subject: Re: David Pogue's column - New York Time
From: Lori Olcott <lori_olcott -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 13:30:01 -0800 (PST)

We may whine and fuss about grammar rules in middle school, but knowledge
of the structure behind a language can be very useful. When I was working
as an editor for ESL education companies in Korea, my recommendations
carried a lot more weight than most of my fellows because I knew what a
gerund was. But I still occasionally had to fall back on, "We just don't
say it that way." ;)

Cheers!
Lori

> Sometimes the effort to learn a second language gives you a deeper
> understanding of the grammar and mechanics. For example, two ladies who
> were in my TW graduate program were both ESL speakers/writers, yet they
> could recite and explain grammatical rules that many native speakers
> had never even heard of!

http://mail.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com