Re: Editorial/Press Release - What are some points to consider while writing?

Subject: Re: Editorial/Press Release - What are some points to consider while writing?
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:21:55 -0500

Approach the press release as if you were writing the actual story you'd want to see published. What is your slant, i.e. What about this software is most going to interest the reader/potential purchaser? Most corporate press releases are dry and boring recitations of marketing lingo and features/benefits. That's fine if the press release is going to a tech column where all they'll do is mention that it has been released, but it won't get you noticed by anyone who doesn't read such columns. Release of a product is not that newsworthy in and of itself. If you can come up with an angle that hooks the readers, it will hook the editor too and get you the best chance of press coverage. Editors are hungry to do feature pieces on interesting things. You don't need to least all the important features, just the ones that will get attention. What problems does your product solve for the user? Slant the release to explain how the product provides those solutions. Most people would rather read a media release about "Cryxyx Software cuts production time by 80%" than "Cryxyx version 2.0 with enhanced GUI released this week". If your media release is an interesting enough story, they might just publish it as is.
--Beth

Jennifer C. Bennett wrote:

Hello,

I will be writing an editorial/press release for a software application. I have not written one before, and I am interested in finding out what points need to be considered before and while writing. I have written the help system and user manual for this application, so I am very familiar with the application.

What questions should I ask myself and the subject matter expert before writing? From the examples I have seen, the important thing is to outline the key features of the software. Is it more important to give a brief overview of the product, then go into the new features, or is it more effective to describe the new features first and then go inot an overview?

I think a couple of important questions to ask would be "How familiar are the readers with the product or similar products?" and "What method/software do the typical potential customers currently use?"

What are some others I should consider?

Thanks!

Jennifer

--