Re: Best graphics format to import into Power Point

Subject: Re: Best graphics format to import into Power Point
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:11:28 -0500

On 11/2/05, Elizabeth O'Shea <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com> wrote:
> Can the Power Point experts out there recommend the best graphics format for
> images we import into Power Point. Ideally, we'd like sales reps to be able
> to scale the images if possible. You can also tell me if letting them scale
> images themselves is a bad idea.

PowerPoint can accept a wide variety of images, from vector formats to
raster formats, from screen captures to clip art, from hand-drawn art
to photographs. It works with BMP, WFM, GIF, PNG, JPG, and a slew of
other formats equally well.

It sounds like you're asking "how can we ensure good-looking images
get into presentations" and that is a topic that can go on for months,
but to start, try not to downsample images, try not to use too much
compression, and try to develop standards around how images are to be
used and document them.

As for scaling images, I suggest doing that within PPT and not in a
graphics app (unless they really know what they are doing). PPT allows
you to scale images by dragging the nodes along the perimeter of the
image. If you hold down Shift while doing so, you will scale the image
proportionally.

Hope this helps...

--
Bill Swallow