RE: "New Media"

Subject: RE: "New Media"
From: mandalynw -at- gmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:33:59 -0600

My company has a wiki (we use TWiki) and I recently set up an area for
document reviews. I've got links to the latest docs and specific review
assignments for each person posted. I was hoping that I might get better
response using the new TWiki method, but--SURPRISE--I've found that the
folks who are reluctant to complete reviews are still reluctant, and the
folks who are eager to complete reviews are still eager. The method I've
used to organize and distribute the information has had almost zero effect
on the result. Go figure.

>Neither I nor a blogging aficionado
>is going to eagerly keep returning to a blog about
>reviewing some tech-writer's latest document. If I'm a
>subject-matter expert, the "lay" version is boring to me.
>I'm far ahead, in architecting and coding the product for
>upcoming versions. "Whatsa behind me, isa _not_ important!"
>
>If I've got a review copy in front of me, and a deadline
>to bring comments to a meeting, or whatever, I'll maybe
>buckle down and do the dirty job.... although, if I'm like
>too many SMEs, I'll expend far too much time and effort
>on commas and style, and not enough on spotting technical
>errors or suggesting substantive inprovements. And that
>won't change one whit, if the format happens to be bloggish.
>
>Actually, if I'm most reviewers, I'll prefer a red pen and
>hard copy.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com