Re: Cubicle Noise Canceling (WAS: A PDA in every pocket?)

Subject: Re: Cubicle Noise Canceling (WAS: A PDA in every pocket?)
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:05:17 -0400

Nuckols, Kenneth M wrote:

What do most writers who have to compete with "animated" phone
conversations in the work environment do to compete with the noise? Are
headphones now generally considered "acceptable" accoutrements for the
writer in a cubicle environment? I'm hoping I'll be allowed to wear some
headphones so I can listen to "white noise" or "ambient" soundtracks to
drown the conversations, and if I get any resistance to my request it
would be nice to know what others are doing.

I first started writing in a cube with software engineering on one side and personnel on the other. I've been lucky to be able to block out anything that I wasn't interested in hearing. It certainly was a lot easier than wearing headphones all day long, and was extremely helpful when I worked as a business reporter and later as a home-based freelancer with two small kids running around the place. Not everyone can do that. My wife can't have any voice around her at all when she's writing, and I tend to play anything from folk to good old rock-and-roll when I'm writing. I wish you luck.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com