Re: A PDA in every pocket?

Subject: Re: A PDA in every pocket?
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:15:46 -0600

I answered the PDA thing yesterday on a different list :)

----------
> I have long found this whole PDA thing fundamentally confusing. What is
> the point of a PDA?

There isn't one.

> What do you do with a PDA?

Nothing.

> Why would I want a PDA?

You wouldn't.

:)

Seriously... My PDA has replaced the "day-timer" that I used to carry around with me.
(It didn't get much use either ;) The PDA has a calendar, so I put in appointments
and birthdays. I've also transferred over all the addresses from my paper planner to
the PDA. It has a calculator program, so I no longer lug around a separate calculator.
If I travel for business, I will use the expense program to log my expenses. I will
occasionally jot a note in the Notepad application.

The Zire also has a camera (which I never use) and I could load games on it (which I
never have) and ebooks (what? read on a PDA?), and I guess I could use it to
"organize" my life, but then that would be way to anal, even for me ;)

Oh, and I also use it to test our datalogger PDA software.

So really, it does nothing more for me than my page per day Day-timer, though I
doubt I use it to its "full potential".

----------

And... regarding cell phones... I think it is prudent for *everyone* to have one for
emergencies, regardless of whether they are needed for work. They are
indispensible if you find yourself stranded on a highway or in some other emergency
situation. I road bike a lot, and I always carry mine if I am riding by myself. Hopefully,
if I found myself in a ditch, I could drag myself out and call for help (or, if I reach the
point of fatigue where I'm ready to toss my bike in the ditch and hitch-hike home ;) I
also use my cell phone to make my long distance calls -- free of charge. Oh, and if
you lose your husband in the store, you can call him and figure out where he is :)

Dana W.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com