Re: A PDA in every pocket?

Subject: Re: A PDA in every pocket?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:54:31 -0400

> So, except for freelance contact maintenance, are PDAs
> and handheld computer-thingies an indispensible work
> tool for tech writers?

I'm not sure if there's a specific application to tech writers over
any other flavor of working professional, but it is highly useful.
Indispensible is a rather strong term. I consider water, air, and food
indispensible. But a PDA is very handy, IMO.

> Or a very dispensible toy?

It's all in what you want it for. Some people I know only use theirs
to goof off.

> Or a piece of additional clutter that you really don't
> need in your life?

Some days it feels like that. ;-) I need to be honest, I find it
useful but sometimes more conventional tools are required.

> Those who have them for work, did you pay for it yourself?

I received my first as a gift. I received the next two for free as
well. One came free when I registered VS.NET 2003 (imagine, something
free from Microsoft!), and one was given to me as part of a beta
testing exercise for a new form of GPS navigation/real-time driving
directions. You can get free PDAs rather easily if you pay attention
to deals and beta announcements.

I use my PDA mainly for:
* notes
* offline e-mail
* offline web content browsing
* to do lists
* reminders
* contact lists
* MP3 player
* GPS/driving navigation
* universal remote control
* killing time in waiting rooms by playing games

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com