Re: A PDA in every pocket?

Subject: Re: A PDA in every pocket?
From: Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:12:27 -0400 (EDT)

--- mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com wrote:

> Do most of the rest of y'all have PDAs? What is
> your
> primary usage of them? What are you hoping for,
> technology-wise
> that would prompt you to switch from PDA to handheld
> PC,
> or from handheld PC to... what?
> Or are you fully satisfied with the current state of

Brian:
Contract or 'captive':
* No PDA
* No cell phone
* No Palm/Blackberry/etc or anything else that crosses
the above two categories
* No web site
* My email address is hardly big-corp-friendly

I have had all of the above things at various times,
but have never found them necessary. My sister is also
a TW, contract for many years, and has:
* No PDA/Palm/etc.
* No cell phone (After she dropped it in the tub, she
decided there was no need to replace it
* A professional-looking web site with matching email
address
* A tiny IBM laptop running Win98!!!

Her web does not bring in business; it is a tool to
show people samples and how 'professional' she is. I
have not had trouble obtaining work, and have not had
an employer who insists upon me having these gadgets.
(One previous employer saddled me with a pager and
Blackberry-like thing, but I was a manager there, on
call at all times; the joys of working at a 24/7
manufacturing facility....)

I am not slagging these devices at all - just that *I*
have tried them and found them to be a waste of my
time and money. I have no doubt some or all would be
very useful in different circumstances. And that some
folks find it fun to learn to use such things.

How many folks have relatively modern computers
because they must? I wonder how many of us use old
clunkers because the client/employer supplies a
computer?

All the best,
Brian

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com