Re: "New Media"

Subject: Re: "New Media"
From: Walter Campbell <atypicaluser -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:13:17 -0700

I can think of two problems: specifying the section in the reviewed
document to which the blog comment applies, and identifying blog
threads -- since comments are usually listed in chronological order,
what do you do when, for example, reviewer B responds to a point made
by reviewer A, but in the list of blog comments, these posts are
separated by several comments about other aspects of the reviewed
document?

Might a newsgroup-like forum be a better mechanism for threaded discussions?

Where I work, I'm trying to persuade reviewers to annotate documents
with the commenting and markup tools now available in Adobe Reader. My
grand plan was to then take everyone's annotations and consolidate
them into a single document, so that everyone could see what was said.
Unfortunately, so few reviewers are annotating the PDF files that I've
not yet been able to do that.

--
Walt Campbell
atypicaluser (at) gmail (dot) com

On 10/14/05, Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca> wrote:

> This idea, I really like. By making all comments
> visible, this may reduce duplicate/overlapping
> comments from reviewers who ordinarily don't see the
> feedback from other reviewers. It also allows people
> to second previous comments. Puts some peer pressure
> on those who have yet to review, too....
>
> Would it work on a long doc, though?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com