Re: Blogs replace newsletters?

Subject: Re: Blogs replace newsletters?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:27:17 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on 10/14/2005 11:13:58 AM:
> To me, the transition from this to a blog looks
> loss-free, with gains to be had (as already pointed
> out). But I'm interested in other points of view.

What exactly is a blog? I know, but what does the definition mean to you
and your users?

What really is the difference between a blog and another CMS or web
publishing strategy?

Isn't what defines a blog more about philosophy than technology?

In the case of replacing newsletters, why not go with a CMS portal type
approach. Latest news and articles on the first page and all other
articles archived and classified.

Why not make it appealing to as wide an audience as possible? Regular e
and snail mailings of a whole package, RSS and e-mail of articles as they
appear, and make all the different deliveries available in a variety of
formats (pdf off-line, pdf on-line, HTML).

The site can grow to include discussion groups, commenting, and all manner
of technologies.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently.
Thank you.

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message.
Merci.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com