Re: Release notes: what's your standard like?

Subject: Re: Release notes: what's your standard like?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:53:42 -0700

On Tue, 2005-11-10 at 13:13 -0700, Jenn Wilson wrote:

> The primary goal for these is business development.

You don't mention whether these release notes are also going to
programmers or not. If they are, may I suggest that you create separate
documents for these two audiences?

A single document, of course, is easier to maintain. However, neither
audience is likely to be satisfied with what the other wants. The
technical information wanted by programmers is unlikely to be well
received by business development. The same is true in reverse for any
marketing information.

Even the format is likely to cause problems. Business development may
want nicely formatted text, while programmers are likely to object to
having to open a word processor to read release notes.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"You bought all the props for a world that never was,
Now there's holes in the mirror, and less and less applause,
We are all ungrateful bastards, like a dog that bit your hand,
All these years and you still don't understand."
- OysterBand, "Too Late Now"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com