Re: Frame --> InDesign

Subject: Re: Frame --> InDesign
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:29:48 -0400

> My question is why does your boss think InDesign will answer those
> needs? That is, what features does he think InDesign has that would
> serve database publishing.
>
> I'm not saying it won't, because I really don't know, but I'm curious.
> I've used both, but I've not done "database publishing" with either.

There are plenty of 3rd party tools recommended by Adobe for database
publishing with InDesign. I have no idea how well any of them actually
work.
http://www.adobe.com/products/plugins/indesign/main.html

> And I underscore Barry's comments. Conversion to InDesign from Frame
> will not be easy.

Well, the kicker here is that it looks like the conversion will
actually be from FM --> Database, in which case if your content is
structured you can do this quite easily, especially with the XML
improvements in FM v.7.2. It would seem that in this case InDesign
would only be the layout engine for content that is maintained in a
database.

Does your boss have a plan for content authoring too? Or just the
publishing part? You should think long and hard about the former, as
the latter is "easy".

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736