Internal Documentation Web site

Subject: Internal Documentation Web site
From: "Ashaki K. Hamlett" <ashaki -at- altair -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:15:58 -0400

At a previous place of employment, the technical writing team had an
online area manual. In this manual, we had style guidelines, links to
Web resources, contact information, and tips on using tools specific to
our area. At my current position, I proposed to my supervisor that I can
create such a site for the Documentation group. She, too, agreed that
this would be a valuable tool and she actually proposed the same idea
before, but the writers said it was unnecessary because we have similar
information in our network folders. She wants me to compile a list of
pros and cons as to why we should have an internal documentation Web
site. I came up with the following:

Cons
- Possibly inaccessible if server is down
- Need to contact member outside TW team every time an update is needed
to the site (I can create the site, but I don't have privileges to
publish to the server.)

Pros
- Serves as a training tool for writers
- Information in one central place oppose to being scattered across
network folders
- Quick access to Web resources

Please feel free to add to either list (preferably, the Pros list :).

Thanks,
Ashaki

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com