RE: Structured authoring - more than just XML/SGML?

Subject: RE: Structured authoring - more than just XML/SGML?
From: "France Baril" <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:58:31 -0400

Hi Ian,

I personnally think that 'structured authoring' refers to using XML
and/or SGML technology. This perception has been greatly influenced by
my use of FrameMaker that has a structured and an unstructured mode.

Here is the terminology I use when I need to avoid ambiguity:

* Modular - Refers to deliverables that are built from independent
blocks of content, whether you call them modules, topics, discourses or
anything else.

* Content structure - Refers to the structure of the content in general,
whether it is modular or not, xml/sgml or not.

* XML/SGML documents/content - Documents or content that is stored in
XML or SGML format.

Then you can use these in combinations: My XML documents have a modular
content structure.