RE: Contract to Perm [WAS: salary for entry level position...]

Subject: RE: Contract to Perm [WAS: salary for entry level position...]
From: Kate <kate -at- pulpculture -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:21:37 -0400

At 01:26 PM 9/30/2005, Brian Gordon wrote:

OTOH, if I were initially hired on
the assumption of a short-term contract at my top
rate, I would expect that I may trade away much of
that for the security of the job.

Eek! I hope it's better in Canada than in the States.

At any rate, I'm curious about two things. If you're a contractor, you can't get disability insurance? Let's say you break both your legs or suffer some debilitating disease that prevents you from working. Even if you've paid into the system in the past, you can't go to the disability office and take disability since you can no longer work?

Also, has anyone ever managed to negotiate a job (FTE) where you were guaranteed employment for a certain length of time, even though you weren't a contractor?

Culture Lab
http://www.pulpculture.org
http://blog.pulpculture.org

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com