RE: Linking to online help topic

Subject: RE: Linking to online help topic
From: Odile Sullivan-Tarazi <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:00:00 -0700

Being an infrequent poster and only a passing lurker, I don't know anyone on this list, and so anything I have to say really reflects that ignorance. Still. My reaction to Bill's response (sorry, Bill, I don't know you) was essentially that of Kathleen's. It opens tersely, it asks no questions of the original petitioner, it reads like a shot from the hip.

I'm not a tools person, but I understood the original question perfectly. At least, I think I did. Julie is working with online help developed in RoboHELP X5. She wants to know whether it's possible for the help to open not in one topic window, but in two windows: one for the TOC, index, and search capabilities; one for the topic.

Not being a tools person, I wouldn't know whether there's information missing in this question -- whether someone, in order to answer it in detail, would need to know something more about the tools environment. I know I've seen the sort of help she describes. I do not know the details of how it is coded and built. But if there is something missing from the original question, I would not have thought that something would be "what kind of help is it." I'm not sure I understand that question. "Kind" as in what product is it for? "Kind" as in what tool is it being developed in? (But that question has already been answered, in the original post.) "Kind" as in how it's structured, what writing philosophy it follows? Ordinarily, I would have said the latter, or something like it -- particularly as the tool has already been named and since Bill does not ask for *more* information on "kind" but suggests instead that he has as yet *no* information on "kind" -- but that interpretation does not fit the context.

So, from out of left field, and not knowing anyone involved, that was my take on it. FWIW.

Er, and no insult intended toward anyone.

Odile

At 6:38 AM -0700 9/23/05, John Posada wrote:

> I am sorry, but why are people so..... rude on this list? I have
seen it time and again recently and this is just one example.

Kathleen...

1) Bill's answer was not rude. It just wasn't warm and fuzzy. OTOH,
he has offered assistance to more people than I can count....isn't
that why we are here?

2) Some of us have little patience with people who cannot communicate
clearly or expect us to spend more time interpreting a question than
composing an answer. Clear communication, both from the perspective
of composing questions and answers, is a core competency of our
profession and it is from people who cannot communicate clearly that
others form their opinions of us. Is it wrong to expect a well
thought-out and complete question when what is expected is a similar
answer?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than