Re: is "technologies" a word?

Subject: Re: is "technologies" a word?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:56:23 -0700 (PDT)

> Do you really think that anything said in a forum like this will
> have the slightest effect on what marketeers write? I'm not
> sure that anything said here has much of an effect on other
> members of this list, and I'm certain it has no effect on the
> outside world.

For the last day or so, I've been wondering along the same
lines...however, I take it further (farther?):

Who made us caretakers of the written/spoken word?

Our job is to communicate. I don't care if I do it with "The Queen's
English", common American usage, Ebonics, Pig Latin, hand signals, or
smoke signals.

Do we communicate better by never using the plural of technology or
do we communicate better by using the plural form if it gets our
instruction across, but is maybe not recognized by Webster (BTW,
American Heritage does)?

It is obvious that many of us in this forum cannot do what we are
supposed to do very well. Shouldn't we get that right before becoming
the English language gatekeeper?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than