Re: Framemaker v. Word v. ?

Subject: Re: Framemaker v. Word v. ?
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:15:39 -0400

Not what I said. FM is a much better solution for long, technical
documents than is MS Word. But, if you need everybody and their mother
to edit the work, it's not practical. Moving between Word and FM in
either direction on a regular basis is not practical.

There's no need to get out of FrameMaker. If you wanted to, doing so
is not difficult. The troubles are 1) roundtripping -- and this is
not a FrameMaker-specific issue and 2) sharing your content with an
infinite number of editors with unknown skill -- also not a FrameMaker
problem but compounded by FrameMaker's marketshare versus Word.

On 9/29/05, Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com> wrote:
> T.W. Smith wrote:
> > Well, if you use FM, those who edit the document need FM.
> > Roundtripping from FM to Word is painful; the two products work in two
> > different ways for two different audiences.
> >
> > However, for 60-80 pages Word will more than do what you want.
>
> Seconded. You'd be forcing Frame into this situation. There'd be
> substantial and permanent costs, and no benefit that I can see.
>
> Folks already invested in Frame have serious issues ahead, of the
> "How do I get out?" variety. To *start* sourcing in Frame today is
> nutty.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.