Re: Exercise to get participants involved

Subject: Re: Exercise to get participants involved
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:19:08 -0400

gwjohng wrote:

> I am involved with a series of workshops at my company where we teach engineers to write effect documentation. These workshops seem to go very well and despite attendance being entirely elective, the classes are filled to capacity.

> We are looking for a relevant exercise we can conduct early during the two hour session which will get the participants verbally involved in the workshop. We are after something that encourages folks to ask questions, make comments and become comfortable interacting with their fellow participants.

> Does anyone have suggestions for such exercises? If so, could you describe the exercise?

I would use the exercise that has been mentioned, where you compose a
list of characteristics or facts. However, I would revise the idea to
make it more relevant to an engineering group. For instance:

1. Has SGML training
2. Framemaker newbie
3. Used Word 1.0
4. Created a PDF within the last month
5. Working towards MBA
6. Have B.S from a midwestern college.

It would help to have the resumes of the individuals, as you could
extract such facts. You might also add some ancient history from your
company.

7. Part of the Mergantz team which won our first contract to supply EPGS.

The way I run the original exercise with my computer students, is to
distribute the list, and ask them to get up and find one person in the
room who has each attribute.

One purpose of this exercise is to get the students out of their seats
(traditional role) and into a participatory state of mind. After
you've used this exercise, it should occur to you that some barriers
have been removed, and you are seen as a creative facilitator.

--
Ed Wurster (Voorhees, NJ)
Tech Tips Blog

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com